Your First Visit
What happens at my consultation?
Your initial consultation is an opportunity for you to talk with Dr Richardson about your motivation and expectations of surgery, and you may meet with Dr Richardson’s Patient Co-ordinator.
Upon consultation, a full medical history will be taken, including photographs of the area of concern, and Dr Richardson will examine you. Once assessed, Dr Richardson will recommend what surgical procedures are safe and appropriate for you to address your concerns and meet your goals. Some examples of before and after images may be shown and any questions you have will be answered. Your surgery benefits, risks, potential complications, and recovery will be discussed.
Your consultation is also an opportunity for you to discuss with Dr Richardson his training, credentials, experience, and personal techniques, as well as the surgery proposed. Fees and payment policy will be discussed with our trained team staff before and after the consultation and prior to any procedure.
For cosmetic or complex reconstructive procedures, a second consultation is recommended.
- Are you a Specialist Plastic Surgeon?
- Are you a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)?
- Are you a member of the Australasian Society of Plastic Surgeons Inc. (ASPS)?
- Do you have any special techniques relating to the procedure?
- What are the possible risks and complications of the procedure?
- Will the surgery be performed at an accredited facility?
- Will a qualified Anaesthetist administer the anaesthetic? Are their fees included in the treatment cost?
- Do I have any options other than surgery?
- Do you have a consent form outlining the procedure for me to review?
- What are the costs and will Medicare cover any of my procedure costs?
- Will there be any discomfort following the procedure and how will this be managed?
- What is my recovery period and will I need any time off work?
- Are there any post-operative side effects?
- Will there be any visible scarring following the procedure and how can this be minimised?
- What aftercare will be provided and will this be included in the treatment costs?
After the consultation Dr Richardson’s Patient Co-ordinator will send you a Surgical Fee Estimate outlining expected surgical fees and potential other fees for the procedure.
We want you to take the time to think your procedure over and if it is right for you. Dr Richardson and his Patient Co-ordinator will guide you with any questions you may have during this time.